2014 Idaho Summit on Hunger
and Food Security
"Together Nourishing Idaho"
The 2014 Idaho Summit on Hunger and Food Security
was a GREAT SUCCESS!!
Over 250 people attended from 22
counties 49 Idaho cities, 8 states and three tribal
Created with flickr slideshow.
Dr. Janey Thornton
Deputy Under Secretary for USDA Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services
As Deputy Under Secretary for USDA's Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services, Dr. Janey Thornton is responsible for improving the health and well-being of all Americans. read more
Author and News Correspondent
Hattie Kauffman made history as the first Native American journalist to ever file a report on a national network evening news broadcast, and she has over two decades of experience as an on-camera correspondent and news anchor for ABC and CBS. She is a member of the Nez Perce Tribe of Idaho, a speaker and writer. To learn more about Ms. Kauffman, click here to view her website.
Listen to Hattie's September 2nd interview on Public News Service here.
Learn more about each of the six workshop tracks:
1. Anti-Hunger Advocacy: Strategic Mapping— Idaho Grocery Tax Credit and Your Top Issue; Presenter: Matt Newell-Ching, Bread for the World, Western Region, Portland, OR. (see more...)
2. Childhood Nutrition: Screen and Intervene; Presenter: Lynn Knox, Screen & Intervene and Charlotte Navarre, Providence Demonstration Project, Portland, OR. (see more...)
This post-conference event will be offered by early childhood advocacy
affiliates on Wednesday and Thursday, October 29 and 30, 2014
Click on the link to learn more about these opportunities. Early Years Conference
3. Idaho Blueprint to End Hunger: Snapshot of Today - Picture of Tomorrow; Presenters: Kelly Marschall, and Sarah Boxx, Social Entrepreneurs, Inc., Reno, NV. (see more...)
4. Local Food Systems: Building Partnership to Support Farmers and Improve Access; Presenter: Risa Waldoks, The Food Trust, Philadelphia, PA. (see more...)
5. Multi-Cultural Food Security: Addressing Disparities and Community Assets; Presenter: Rosalinda Guillen, Executive Director of 'Community to Community Development,' Bellingham, WA. (see more...)
6. Senior Hunger: Serving Independence; Presenter: Peggy Ingraham, Executive VP and Heather Cosson, Director of Communications, National Foundation to End Senior Hunger (NFESH), Alexandria, VA. (see more...)
A SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS
Community Action Partnership Association of Idaho
Healthy Eating, Active Living Idaho
Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic
Idaho Dairy Council
Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force
Idaho Interfaith Roundtable Against Hunger
McClure Center for Public Policy Research
Monastery of St. Gertrude
Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church
The Episcopal Church in Idaho
The Idaho Foodbank
University of Idaho Eat Smart Idaho
Women, Infants and Children (WIC)