2014 Idaho Summit on Hunger
and Food Security
"Together Nourishing Idaho"
Tuesday, October 28, 2014
2900 W. Chinden Blvd
Registration is Open!
Dr. Janey Thornton
Deputy Under Secretary for USDA Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services
As Deputy Under Secretary for USDA's Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services, Dr. Janey Thornton is responsible for improving the health and well-being of all Americans. read more
Author and News Correspondent
Hattie Kauffman made history as the first Native American journalist to ever file a report on a national network evening news broadcast, and she has over two decades of experience as an on-camera correspondent and news anchor for ABC and CBS. She is a member of the Nez Perce Tribe of Idaho, a speaker and writer. To learn more about Ms. Kauffman, click here to view her website.
Listen to Hattie's September 2nd interview on Public News Service here.
HOW TO REGISTER
Once you have reviewed the workshop track options below and are ready to register and pay, click this button. There is an Early Bird rate that ends September 15 so hurry and register now!
If you need to mail in your registration and payment, download the registration form here:2014 Hunger Summit Registration Brochure
Learn more about each of the six workshop tracks:
1. Anti-Hunger Advocacy: Strategic Mapping— Idaho Grocery Tax Credit and Your Top Issue; Presenter: Matt Newell-Ching, Bread for the World, Western Region, Portland, OR. (see more...)
2. Childhood Nutrition: Screen and Intervene; Presenter: Lynn Knox, Screen & Intervene and Charlotte Navarre, Providence Demonstration Project, Portland, OR. (see more...)
This post-conference event will be offered by early childhood advocacy
affiliates on Wednesday and Thursday, October 29 and 30, 2014
Click on the link to learn more about these opportunities. Early Years Conference
3. Idaho Blueprint to End Hunger: Snapshot of Today - Picture of Tomorrow; Presenters: Kelly Marschall, and Sarah Boxx, Social Entrepreneurs, Inc., Reno, NV. (see more...)
4. Local Food Systems: Building Partnership to Support Farmers and Improve Access; Presenter: Risa Waldoks, The Food Trust, Philadelphia, PA. (see more...)
5. Multi-Cultural Food Security: Addressing Disparities and Community Assets; Presenter: Rosalinda Guillen, Executive Director of 'Community to Community Development,' Bellingham, WA. (see more...)
6. Senior Hunger: Serving Independence; Presenter: Peggy Ingraham, Executive VP and Heather Cosson, Director of Communications, National Foundation to End Senior Hunger (NFESH), Alexandria, VA. (see more...)
The2014 Hunger Summit will be held at the Riverside Hotel, located at 2900 Chinden Boulevard, Boise, ID, 83714.
Special room rate for Hunger Summit guests is $99 for a Single King or Double Queen room. Reservations should be made by phone at the Riverside, Boise: (208) 343-1871(208) 343-1871. Mention "The Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force" to receive this special rate. Registrations made online will not receive the reduced group rate.
To preview the Riverside Hotel and room accommodations, click on this link: The Riverside Hotel, Boise.
The 2014 Hunger Summit will have an Exhibit Hall with spaces available to showcase your organization's mission, services, products, or simply to distribute information on food security in Idaho. Interested entities may click on 'EXHIBITORS' above, follow application instructions, and return it by September 25.
In an effort to promote participation from across Idaho, there are very limited and need-based scholarships for registration or partial travel costs. If you would otherwise not be able to attend, click on 'SCHOLARSHIPS' above to learn more about applying. The deadline is September 19.
A SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR GENEROUS SPONSORS
Community Action Partnership Association of Idaho
Healthy Eating, Active Living Idaho
Idaho Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic
Idaho Dairy Council
Idaho Hunger Relief Task Force
Idaho Interfaith Roundtable Against Hunger
McClure Center for Public Policy Research
Monastery of St. Gertrude
Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church
The Episcopal Church in Idaho
The Idaho Foodbank
University of Idaho Eat Smart Idaho
Women, Infants and Children (WIC)